Our Quote

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Kiwi Flag

Kiwi Flag

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I LOVE the AIRPORT

Just a quick aside...

I have to tell the Kiwis how much I really appreciate their airports. There is NOTHING that is stressful about traveling in New Zealand. The airports are awesome.
I had to travel to the capital (Wellington, NOT Auckland) for work. I was not looking forward to the pain and agony of air travel. Especially because to get to Wellington for me requires two flights. UGH! Normally this means:
-getting to the airport 1 hour before your flight just so you can battle through check in lines
-getting frisked/fondled and inappropriately aggrevated by security
-buying an overpriced nasty sandwich because you have a 1 hour delay
-getting to your destination, dashing around like a fool trying to find your next gate for your connection
-finally getting to your destination and then waiting for 1 hour for your bag on the "Carosel of Doom"
-trying to find the exit so that you can wait in line for a taxi

I really dislike the airports. Until I moved here! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I got to the airport a full 15 minutes before my flight because the airport here is about the size of my mom's house and garage and its that easy to navigate. We only have one airline that flies outta here. Air New Zealand!
No one harassed me about seeing my carry on or if it would fit.
There is NO security at our airport (don't tell anyone). No metal detectors, no police (that I saw), no wanding, no cavity searching, nothing! You can even sit at the gate with your family member and watch them leave! No more dropping them off at the curb and having to speed off before airport police pepper spray you for not moving fast enough. Or paying $100 for parking and then not be able to find your car in the maze they call a parking garage!
Plane came, people came off, we got on. Period.
I was worried because my connection to Wellington was through Christchurch I only had 15 minutes to make my next plane. Why did I even worry?
I walked off my plane, into the airport which is slightly bigger than a supermarket and walked onto my next plane. Took me about 5 minutes.
Wait, this is the best part....Air New Zealand has a "Happy Hour" on flights after 5pm!!! Free New Zealand wines for everyone!!! You even get a choice between Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Merlot! Seriously!!!!
This is crazy, the flight attendants are nice and smiled. I didn't notice any snarling.
Even better, after a wonderful trip to Wellington, I had to come back. I was anxious about the airport. I gave myself a full 30 minutes to navigate the airport. I walked in and walked to my gate. No one even looked at my ID and there was NO security!!! It took 5 minutes. I gotta find another reason to go on a plane in New Zealand. Especially if it is Happy Hour.
I love the Kiwis.


View of Wellington from the Cable Car

Harbor in Wellington

View of Wellington

No comments:

Post a Comment