Our Quote

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Kiwi Flag

Kiwi Flag

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Summertime..and the Eating is Easy!

I didn't know that New Zealand had such goodies to eat. When I say goodies, I'm talking about things that I love but are usually to expensive for me to eat on a regular basis.
Last week, a friend invited us over to eat his fresh catch.
New Zealand has some awesome dive sites and the best part about the diving is the rule that you can hand catch up to 6 crayfish per diver...
Now, I wasn't familiar with the New Zealand crayfish but  I love all seafood so I was willing to give it a try..
OMG!
Crayfish are similar to lobsters...minus the claws, but bigger. When I saw how big these things are and the fact that you can catch them for free, I was thrilled!
Our friend invited us over to enjoy his catch that he got just one day before.
He hand caught 6 giant crayfish and invited us over for an old fashioned crayfish boil..Each one weighed over 1lb. One pound of lobster?! I have died and gone to heaven!
What was amazing was that these crayfish would have easily cost us over $100 in a nice restauraunt back home!
I won't tire you with the savory details but I will show you pictures!

Crayfish, so big he won't fit into the pot!

Seriously juicy tails, all ready for cooking!!!
The finished product, along with some smoked brown trout and lots of garlic butter!!!

2 comments:

  1. Holy freakin' cow!! Those things are ginormous!!! I cannot wait to get down to the south island...Hope you are taking full advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is the life! Thinking of you. -Dionne

    ReplyDelete