Our Quote

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Kiwi Flag

Kiwi Flag

Monday, August 23, 2010

That Don't Taste Right...

"This doesn't taste right", was a common complaint I heard from Bruce the first few days after his arrival. I was so excited about having my honey back home! I spent the week making sure that Bruce had all of his favorites meals from home. I've made a couple of his favorite dishes but of course, in my true Southern nature, all of the first couple of meals were very fatty and very much like "back home".

The true test was the first week here. I noticed it too when I got here. The food tastes...different. Not bad but different. It was hard to put my finger on it at first. It took the scientific side of my head to figure it out. I bought a loaf of bread from the supermarket and within 4 days it was molded and bad! I thought I got a "bad batch" of bread so I went and bought another...same thing...the bread went bad within 4-5 days. I finally realized that IT DOESNT HAVE PRESERVATIVES IN IT!!! Its an amazing thought! Eating food without preservatives or hormones in it. Want organic produce here? Go to the produce section, close your eyes and pick up something, anything! Most farmers in the Southland do not use pesticides or fertilizers and mostly use rain water instead of irrigation. Its sad to say after spending a lifetime in America eating things that have been laden in MSG, food dyes and preservatives galore, your system doesn't understand fresh, natural food. I highly recommend you find an organic food co-op near you, and taste the difference for yourself:)

Fresh produce at the local Farmers Market today.

Bruce was also skeptical of my love affair with lamb. I've always loved lamb. Anytime we had a "nice" dinner out I would order the lamb chops. Bruce didn't even have to ask what I wanted. It was always the lamb. He never really got into it...said it was usually too "greasy". Whatever way you want to describe it, I think its TASTY! So as you can imagine, I'm in "hog heaven" in a country where sheep outnumber people 14:1!!! Lamb is cheaper than chicken and beef! Its amazing to go to the supermarket and see rows and rows dedicated to every type of lamb product and cut available. NZ also has lots of pork (whoo-hoo!) and beef although I have to admit, the cows in the US are tastier (with all the delicious hormones!). The only disappointing thing was the missing turkey. We had been relying on turkey as a low fat alternative to other meats in our diet and it looks like that that is a problem of the past. Turkey is very difficult to find in NZ:(

The most awesome thing? The fruits and veggies are the most amazingly tasty things I've ever had. It like you are tasting something for the first time. I have never been a huge fruit or veggie lover...of course, you have your favorites...but its not like I actually ate "an apple a day". I decided to pick up a couple of pears, apples and kiwis at the market. I actually ate 2 pears and 1 apples at one sitting because they were so insanely good!!! Who knew that lack of pesticides and nuclear waste could make vegetables taste so damn good?

How in God's Green Earth can a carrot grow this big without chemicals? Could it be just rain and sunshine? Gasp?!


Ok...these lemons look more like Grapefruit...just so you know, 1 kg is about 2.2 pounds!!!

The other awesome side effect of living here? Weight loss! I have been in a violent battle against mother nature for the last 5 years. She successfully added about 50 pounds to my frame and I fought tooth and nail to get it off. I have been literally "running my ass off" since. I thought that I would have to continue running my usual 20 miles a week just to keep her at bay...Somehow, magically, this country makes you skinny!!! I think it may be a combination between the water, the fruit and veggies that I actually EAT and the fact that walking is a totally normal way to get around that has helped. I have spent hours walking around. Nothing more disconcerting than to go our for "just a walk" end up an hour away from home and realizing that you have to WALK back! Who woulda known that walking could be such a good form of exercise? :)


A completely delirious smile after walking (mostly uphill) for a hour when I see this sign...

The Kiwis have a completely different sense of flavor combinations from Americans. I was in the grocery store and noticed the ice cream section. All I can say is WTF?! Some things I just don't think I will be able to adjust to; like their choices in ice cream flavors....

 Orange Chocolate Chip?! Where's the Mint Chocolate Chip?

 And the potato chips? OMG! All I have to say is that this is the easiest way to lose weight. Take one look at the flavors of chips and you too will be skinny!

Roast Lamb and Mint chips? I'll stick to my carrots!!!



Kiwis love their meat!!! Chicken flavored chips?

More meat flavor!!!

And God love the Kiwi person who came up with the bacon drippins (leftover bacon grease for all of you Non Southern American speakers) that you can buy at the store! Even though I'm thousands of miles away, I feel like i'm at home in Georgia! Gotta love the Southland, NZ!

2 comments:

  1. I wish our food didn't have so much preservatives in it! I totally agree with you- fresh has got to be better. The thought of giving my baby all those hormones in the meat and dairy just gives me the creeps- what ARE we doing to ourselves here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the exact same thing here - lucky for me since I'm a vegetarian! - the vegetables and fruit ROCK here....And I did try a little meat, but I also was put off by the flavor of the beef here....And, yes, NZ is AMAZING for weight loss. I lost 25lbs in the first few months of arriving and have kept it off since....I LOVE NZ!!!!!

    ReplyDelete