Our Quote

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Kiwi Flag

Kiwi Flag

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood...

This is my second weekend in Dunedin and I wanted to use each day to its fullest. Its hard considering it is winter here and the days are pretty short and secondly, I'm recovering from a wonderful cold. I've gotten a lot of recommendations from locals about "must do" activities while in Dunedin. I wanted to cram everything into one weekend and so far, I've succeeded!

This morning, I woke up to do a 5k run/death march around the Dunedin Harbor basin. Its a popular running/biking track which goes around the harbor basin with awesome views of the city hills and surrounds.

Sunrise at the Harbor Basin Trail

 I call it a death march because I was told that it was flat but these people have NO idea what flat means. I lived in Phoenix for the past 5 years, a city which is flat as a pancake. This running trail around the harbor is not flat. I felt the burn which is why it was only a 5K run instead of my usual 10K! I felt bad on not running my "normal" amount of time so to make up for the lack of running I decided to walk to the botanical gardens from my hotel.

The walk seemed simple enough. It was a beautiful route through the University of Otago, across a small river bridge and then into the gardens onto a trail. The university was beautiful and it reminded me of my good ol college days so long ago. I don't know what it is about universities around the world but they all have the same features: big, old imposing stone buildings, a clock tower and pretty grounds perfect for lazy days lounging about. University of Otago was no different.


Main Square at University of Otago

After wandering around the campus, I started into the Botanical Gardens of Dunedin. I am not a garden-y type of girl. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE trees and grass and plants but I have never made a deliberate stop into a botanical garden. I don't really look at the tags in front of plants nor do I wonder about their species and classification. This botanical garden blew me away! I originally planned on going through it just because it had a walking track through it and I figured I'd get some extra exercise but I ended up meadering through for hours. It was so beautiful! Just the sheer number of trees and plants was amazing. I won't bore you with the details of all the cool things that I learned but I will say that I saw my first Giant California Redwood Tree and Giant Sequoia in Dunedin, New Zealand!!! Its embarassing to say that I had to travel half way around the world to see trees indigenous to my country and only hours away from where I lived for the last 5 years!!!!

Giant California Redwood

Rock Garden in the Botanical Gardens

Frosty day at the Gardens


Anyway, my "extra exercise time" ended up being a 2 hour walk. At the end, the little birds were starting to look like tasty appetizers so I figured it was time to head back in. I was cold, hungry and tired but it was a beautiful day in my neigborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment