Our Quote

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Kiwi Flag

Kiwi Flag

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

We are "Other" People

Thinking about which race you identify with is not something we have to do in the United States. Our history, sometimes painful, is rich because of the different influences we have in our country. Growing up in the United States, you never have to think about how you catagorize yourself. You have to choose one.  Even my friends and family members who are mixed race have been trained to "pick one".  You either choose by closest affiliation or by default. In other cases, its chosen for you.

Today, when filling out the paperwork for my new job in New Zealand, I had to pause. I looked at the paper, studied it hard. I couldn't find me! After moments of serious deliberation and consternation, I chose "Other".


Fun to know that in the eyes of my Kiwi friends, i'm just another Other!
I love it here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to follow your new adventure. New Zealand looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- interesting what other countries have listed as ethnicities- I would be an other too! Miss you two so much!

    ReplyDelete